Monday, May 28, 2007

Pulled Over

Well…I broke my speeding ticket cherry today. Driving to work this morning, I was munching on a blueberry muffin making the turn off an off-ramp when I looked up and spotted a police cruiser about 20 feet from me. I looked down…saw I was doing 80…realized the limit for this tiny strip of road (another 300 yards or so) was 60…and just stared ahead hoping that he hadn’t nabbed me.

Sure enough…he had.

Lucky for me, my good manners, apparent respect for cops and ''aw shucks' attitude must have won over Mr. Officer (“I’m sorry sir…I was eating my breakfast on my way to work...I'm not a speeder”) and he bumped my ticket down to a 70 in a 60 (that’s right…10 GD km/h over the limit friends) and sent me on my way. I knew I was guilty, even if it was in a notoriously cheesy place where the speed limit dips down to 60 from 80, before going back up to 80 further down the road...so there was no point in fighting it. I was just in the wrong spot at the wrong time…eating a muffin.

Now, I know what your thinking…after all the tar and bile I’ve been swimming in the past few weeks, this event had the ability to send me reeling…I could have thrown my arms up in despair, cursed the heavens and just lost it. But you know what, I was determined NOT to let this get my week off to a bad start. ‘Its only $40 bucks’ I said to myself…

‘It could have been worse…he could have been a dick…my registration could have been old…fuck it, everyone gets a speeding ticket at one time or another…’

And you know what? Despite the ticket, I made it through the day without too much trouble and was able to keep a fairly genuine smile etched across my face the entire day. I’m going to have a good week this week…no matter what!
Life isn’t going to get to me…not this week…not this time…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home