Saturday, June 09, 2007

Its a girl!

No...not me...haven't you been following along? Me? A kid? No, the congratulations are for my good buddy J, author of the wonderful Disposable Chronicles, and his wife M-E on the birth of their first child...a baby girl. J was a really good friend and roommate of mine in University (as you may have already read) and the fact that he is now a father just totally blows my mind. Ka-Boom! Interestingly, upon hearing the news and reading J’s quick recap of the first moment he got to hold his baby daughter in his arms, I think I ‘grew up’ myself a good 4-5 years. Lets call it 'baby' fallout. The fact that both J and I were on similar paths not so long ago, and now find ourselves at virtually opposite ends of the spectrum of adulthood has really stopped me cold in my tracks. Its not that I’m wasting my life…J was always destined to be a husband and father, while I, I just haven’t found what I’m looking for yet…but shit, I can’t think of anything more amazing, more awe inspiring than creating another life, one that you will care for and look after, essentially, for the rest of your own. You hear it all the time…but that moment changes your life…and changes you. I believe J completely when he says that the self serving vices and distractions of the past have seemingly melted from his consciousness as he now gazes upon a life that is, at this moment in time, utterly dependant on him. Knowing J as I do, he’s not going to let that little girl down...its just not an option. Neither will her mother for that matter. That girl is one lucky kid.

I'm incredibly proud and happy for my friend. Congratulations brother!



3 Comments:

Blogger Cowboy said...

Thanks Neil! It's the greatest feeling I've ever experienced. Even when she screams all night.

Babies have 3 basic problems that need to be solved on a hourly basis: not enough food = feed them, gas = burp/rock/change diaper, and not enough sleep = vibrating chair and lullaby.

It's good times, but it takes a LOT of patience, deep breathing, and TWO people to take shifts (grand parents help too).

6/10/2007 6:01 PM  
Blogger neil said...

yeah, I was thinking that of all the 'skills' needed as a new parent, patience would be at the top of the list. But man...you must have a smile that you could see from space right now!

Dude...this is too incredible.

6/11/2007 1:47 PM  
Blogger Cowboy said...

Word. It is. She smiled at me tonight. I think it was just a little gas, but a smile is a smile damn it.

6/12/2007 1:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home