Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Be Kind Rewind

"No, no! That's not in the movie!"


***
About 20 minutes into ‘Be Kind Rewind’ I got the feeling that I wasn’t going to enjoy the film nearly as much as I thought I was going to. By the time I was finished, I think I ended up enjoying it more than I thought I was going to at the 20 minute mark…but still not as much as I thought I was going to going in.

A cool little film about the ‘do it yourself’ ethos found in everything from indi filmmakers and musicians, to street vendors, mom and pop stores and lemonade stands. When Jack Black’s character accidentally erases all the VHS tapes in an old school video store where his buddy Mos Def works, the pair decide the only way to save the store is to ‘re-make’ the movies the few customers they do still have want to see. The first movie they have to make, Ghostbusters, had me grinning like a Cheshire cat. Just too funny. And the gags related to Black’s magnetization sickness are subtle and very well done. Its about the power of the imagination to not only take one person somewhere…but how infectious it can be and how it can bring all sorts of people, who otherwise might not have much in common, together.

I thought Jack Black was funny…I liked how the whole movie had this sort of ‘homemade’ quality about it…it was almost as if all the actors were instructed to ‘underplay’ their roles…as if to ‘act’ like non-actors…which may make it ‘seem’ as if the film is poorly acted…but in fact, it’s charming and adds to the ‘cuteness’ of the film.

In an age where money is everything…not just in the movie business…I love that there are extremely creative people out there like Michel Gondry who enjoy playing and experimenting. It may not always work...but the results are usually entertaining and 100% unique.


Not a great film…but a good one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home