Monday, November 06, 2006

It's all in your head...

In my quest to find true balance in my life, and to try and settle the storm that is brewing in my soul, I am 'teaching myself' Buddhism in search of some guidance. The thing about Buddhism that appeals to me is that it's a 'do it yourself' religion. You don't have to go to church every Sunday, join a flock, and listen to someone else preach what it means to be 'whatever'. You just read the text, and attempt to extrapolate what will help you from it…and its very low pressure and very personal. The text I'm reading links Buddhism very closely to psychology...and doesn't pretend to hide that fact. Honesty and awareness...interesting concept don't you think?

Now I could just keep this all to myself, like I normally would do…but I thought that since I have such a captive audience (cough, cough) that I'd impart some of what I have been able to take away from readings…and share some of the more profound bits of wisdom on offer with you.

Today, I was focusing on the importance of Mental Discipline…and how critical it is for someone to be able to attain their goals in life...within the context of the religion. The three main aspects of Mental Discipline are Right Effort, Right Mindfulness and Right Concentration.

Right Effort involves preventing evil and unwholesome states of mind from arising and ridding oneself of such unwholesome states of mind that have already arisen. Things like greed, anger, lust, jealousy. This necessitates generating the will for this to happen, and a single-minded application to the task. This is not easy to do…and is something I have struggled with, but I'm starting to feel like I'm coming around.

Right Mindfulness provides the context for Right Effort. It relates to the here and now. It is concerned with immediate states of consciousness, not speculatative possibilities. It involves diligent awareness of the activities of the body, (sensations and feelings); and the activities of the mind, (ideas, thoughts and conceptions). Without mindfulness, effort would be blind and without effort, mindfulness would be barren and unproductive. This is perhaps where I am strongest. I am very mindful…always have been…even to a fault. But when it comes to this, it works in my favour.

Right Concentration underpins Right Mindfulness. Without concentration, mindfulness is impossible. Concentration is a fundamental skill, in that it develops attentiveness. Our concentration is not connected to what is happening in our bodies and minds, but to how we might achieve what we want to achieve. Kind of like stepping outside of yourself and looking at yourself with a critical eye. The key to this is to keep our long-term goals ahead of our short term needs/desires. If we simply serve the interests of our desires, then we are no longer in control of our lives. Easier said than done...but Right Effort, Right Mindfulness and Right Concentration are the safeguards against such 'forgetfulness'.

Again, I want to stress that I am in no way pushing my beliefs on anyone else...I've got a long way to go before I can consider myself 'truly' on the right path...and this may not be it. I feel a little uncomfortable sharing this with some of you...but its what's on my mind. Personally, I was quite amazed at how a lot of this made sense, especially today...and how it seemed to be within reach of a emotional nomad such as myself. I could actually feel that big hole in my chest fill up…just a little bit today, as I nodded in approval at what I was reading.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

If I could suggest, Tao Te Ching, by Lao Tzu. Or just flip by Taopage.
Not trying to sway you, but these have helped me in my search.

11/06/2006 11:33 PM  
Blogger neil said...

Of course you can Jenn...anytime. Thanks.

I'm pretty much open to anything and everything (within reason) right now...I guess 'you' could say I'm painting with a clean canvas. =P

11/07/2006 1:02 AM  
Blogger Missy said...

Good post.

I really enjoyed Dinty Moore's book, The Accidental Buddhist. Ever read it? He's like, the Art Buchwald of Buddhism.

11/07/2006 3:08 PM  
Blogger Cowboy said...

Everyone needs a spiritual side.

11/07/2006 4:57 PM  
Blogger neil said...

missy - thanks...haven't read it, but I have heard about it...if I can find it I'll check it out.

j - I agree...to ignore spirituality altogether is a mistake I think.

=)

11/07/2006 5:07 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp outlet, longchamp pas cher, polo outlet, longchamp outlet, nike air max, replica watches, kate spade outlet, replica watches, ugg boots, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton, christian louboutin, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses, louboutin pas cher, polo ralph lauren, jordan shoes, longchamp outlet, christian louboutin outlet, nike outlet, chanel handbags, ray ban sunglasses, nike free, air max, polo ralph lauren outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, burberry pas cher, oakley sunglasses, cheap oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, ugg boots, nike air max, oakley sunglasses, prada outlet, jordan pas cher, louis vuitton, uggs on sale, tiffany jewelry, prada handbags, gucci handbags, sac longchamp pas cher, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses wholesale, nike roshe, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors pas cher, christian louboutin shoes, nike free run, ray ban sunglasses

8/18/2016 11:43 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

kate spade, polo lacoste, nike air max, guess pas cher, ralph lauren uk, michael kors outlet online, nike tn, mulberry uk, coach outlet, hogan outlet, timberland pas cher, true religion outlet, hollister uk, michael kors outlet, uggs outlet, coach purses, true religion outlet, michael kors outlet online, new balance, vans pas cher, nike free uk, michael kors outlet, coach outlet store online, ray ban uk, nike air max uk, burberry outlet, nike roshe run uk, sac hermes, north face, true religion outlet, oakley pas cher, michael kors outlet online, michael kors, nike blazer pas cher, true religion jeans, sac vanessa bruno, michael kors outlet online, abercrombie and fitch uk, north face uk, uggs outlet, michael kors outlet, nike air force, nike air max uk, hollister pas cher, lululemon canada, michael kors, ray ban pas cher, replica handbags, converse pas cher

8/18/2016 11:48 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

hollister, ghd hair, ray ban, p90x workout, hollister clothing, instyler, asics running shoes, herve leger, lancel, babyliss, louboutin, mont blanc pens, longchamp uk, new balance shoes, valentino shoes, baseball bats, converse, hollister, soccer jerseys, soccer shoes, nike air max, chi flat iron, insanity workout, bottega veneta, reebok outlet, ferragamo shoes, abercrombie and fitch, north face outlet, nike air max, converse outlet, celine handbags, timberland boots, iphone cases, beats by dre, north face outlet, wedding dresses, vans outlet, mac cosmetics, lululemon, mcm handbags, oakley, gucci, nike roshe run, ralph lauren, nike huaraches, nike trainers uk, hermes belt, jimmy choo outlet, vans, nfl jerseys

8/18/2016 11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home