Thursday, August 21, 2008

acid rain

I'm happy for the people of China. I think getting the Olympic Games meant a lot to them, and, in the long run, was probably a good call by 'the powers that be'. I haven't watched a lick of any of it myself (save a YouTube clip of the 100M final...) but most people are watching, and seem to be getting a real kick out of it like they always do when these things (Summer and Winter) come along. That's cool.

But these sorts of things always have an ugly side...only in China's case, its more like a few ugly sides. Here's just one of the 'minor' ones...







I know...I know...these could be anytown USA 20-30-50-80 years ago. Sure...but China's got over 1 billion people...that's nearly 3 times what the US and Canada had when we were 'growing' nations. The Chinese are playing catch up...trying to cram 100 years of western evolution into 10...5?



all photo's by Teun Voeten (laweekly.com)

1 Comments:

Blogger Cowboy said...

They'll never be a super power. Their country is built on shaky ground.

8/24/2008 11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home