Sunday, February 18, 2007

Going Off The Grid

Well…I’m moving. No…I’m not switching to another blog site, I’m actually moving. I'm finally taking the solo plunge and getting an apartment all to myself. Except for a year in England back in 2004, I’ve always lived with other people. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve actually been pretty lucky in the roommate department…I had 2 really great roommates in University, and with the exception of one dude who just rubbed me the wrong way, I’ve gotten along with all of my roommates over the years.

But I’m at a point in my life where I really want to branch out on my own and build my own nest. I’m a pretty easy going guy, so I tend to be very flexible and understanding when it comes to bending to accommodate others (and I certainly have my own eccentricities that friends have suffered through in silence)…but I’m nearly 28 and I need to be on my own.

My place isn’t anything special. Burn marks in the carpets, abandoned cube vans in the parking lot and neighbors with Harley Davidson flags in their windows…but when I looked at the place, I got a really good vibe off of it, and its right on the ‘Main Street’ in the heart of a small town just north of the city…so I decided to take the plunge…even though I’m probably going to have to live like a poor student for the next 6 months in order to get my finances straight. But I know it’s the right thing to do…and its something that I want to do.

And I'm finally ready to do it.

So with that being said, I won’t be able to blog nearly as often as I have over the past few months since I started F&LIA…having said that, I am still in close proximity to people who have an internet connection, so I probably will be able to check in from time to time, but it just won’t be as consistent as before.

But this is only temporary, so have no fear…once things are sorted, the internet is right at the top of my list as far as priorities go (ahead of TV) so it shouldn’t be long before I’ve got my Mad Hatter cap on again and I'm polluting the wild wide web with my insanity once more.

I just want to thank everyone who’s ever read my blog, and posted a comment…part of the reason why I am finally taking this plunge is because of the emboldened feeling and (albeit fragile) confidence I’ve developed as my blogging has mutated from newbie ranting to what I consider something resembling a distinct style and voice. I’ve still got a long way to go…my buddy J is seriously outdoing me in the talent and observation department (you’re stuff continues to be great bro) and I'm sure I will never reach the artistic and creative heights my supremely talented friend Jenn has (and will undoubtedly continue to) achieve, but I feel like thanks to the blog, and a the baby’s handful of friends I’ve met online over the past 5 months, I’ve become a better person and a more focused ‘writer’…if you consider what I do ‘writing’.

Thank you all very much for a really enjoyable, eye opening 5 months…and I look forward to continuing F&L in my new fortress of solitude.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cowboy said...

Hey, best of luck in the new digs Neil. Sounds like you're ready for a new phase in your life. Way to go. I'll still keep checking back in on your blog; it's been great to keep in touch with you more often.

2/18/2007 7:00 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

England? Wow! You'll do fine in the new place.
...Thank you for the compliment, gushing :).

2/20/2007 3:36 AM  
Blogger neil said...

Thanks J and J =)

You friendship and support has been (and will continue to be) very important to me...

2/21/2007 8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home