Friday, June 15, 2007

I Found Egypt

I went for a drive yesterday, you know, one of those aimless staring-out-the-front-window-with-no-idea-where-you’re-headed drives? I just had to get out of my apartment and get away…somewhere. I pointed myself north and just drove…for about an hour…then made a right turn somewhere and drove for another 20 minutes of so. I passed through a small town called Egypt. Who knew? Egypt, Ontario. I scanned the horizon for pyramids...but all I saw were grain silos. The whole time I was driving, I was looking for a quiet, secluded park where I could stretch my legs and take in a few minutes of sun. That's it. But despite being surrounded on all sides by grass and trees and rocks and sky…it seemed like it was all fenced off…not a single sliver of land I could call my own for a moment of rest.

Finally, after almost giving up my search, I found a bypass road that cut between two farmers’ fields. I drove about half way down the road before slowing down and coming to a stop. I got out and all around me there was nothing but blue sky, bright sun and fields…quiet green and yellow fields. I took it in for a good 20 minutes…the calm…the stillness…the sounds of birds chirping the trees, insects in the grass, the warm sun on my face and arms and the soft wind rustling the leaves overhead.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cowboy said...

Sounds quite nice

6/23/2007 12:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home