Friday, July 20, 2007

"This is the Police"

That's what I was heard through the door Thursday morning at 7:00 am.

“Hold on, let me get some pants on.” was my groggy reply. To say my heart was beating a little faster than normal would be a fair thing to say.

I opened the door, and sure enough, there was a plain-clothes officer, badge on full display, standing in the hallway of my apartment building with 2-3 other uniformed police officers in full rain gear.

“Hello, I’m so-and-so of the so-and-so police…are you so-and-so?”

“Um…no?”

“Do you know a so-and-so?”

“No”

“What about female so-and-so?”

“Oh, I think she lived in this apartment before me. I moved in in mid February. I’m still getting her mail.”

“Oh…I see.” (looks at other officers)

“Well…do you know who owns that white truck in the parking lot? Its been there for a couple of weeks?”

“Uh, I think it belongs to the guy down the hall (point down the hall)…not sure which number, I don’t really know many of the tenants.”

“Oh, OK…well, can I get your name and phone number then?

“OK.” (proceed to give my name…and temporarily forget my phone number…it was early, and I don’t give out my number a lot, so its not burned in my brain yet)

“Alright…thanks…”

And that was it. I paced around for a few minutes, trying to hear what the cops were talking about. Finally, I heard them talking to the couple who’s truck I thought it was. I heard…

“Well, you and your lawyer can apply to get it back.”

and

“Sorry…there are coins under the seat. I have to be anal about this, I need you to take all of your belongings out of the truck.”

“But they’re just pennies?”

“I know…but (inaudible).”

Outside my window, in the driving rain, two police cruisers were parked, watching as a tow truck raised the white pick-up and drove it away…

This is my life...I don't know what's going on.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brianne said...

That would make me wet my pants that early. I don't much care for the company of the 5-0.

7/20/2007 10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home