Wednesday, July 11, 2007

airborn

Sometimes life tosses shit in your path just to see if you can get through it. You get bonus points if you’re able to learn something, either about yourself, or life in general while toughing it out...but in many ways life is survival. When your stuck in the desert and life gives you lemons, you gotta at least try and make lemonade...or you’ll dry up and die.

“Its easier to lie down than it is to fly.” ~ quote from the movie “A Little Trip To Heaven”

I’ve been guilty of lying down from time to time. Life’s beaten me up pretty good over the years…and I’ve inflicted a few wounds myself…but I continue to believe that its all for good…that at some point I’ll finally break through whatever barriers are in my way and find my happiness. True happiness. Not the store bought kind…or the instant gratification variety…the deep down, filling up that unknown void that lies deep within all of us happiness. I know as well as anyone that nothing is promised in this life…and I’m realistic enough to know that I may never truly find my happiness…but if I can make the journey less arduous over time, then at least that is something. And something is better than nothing. Problem is, very rarely is happiness found in just one thing. The love of a partner…passion for a vocation or hobby…a desire to make a difference…or simply money, security, power or excitement…it’s a pinch of that, a little bit of this that makes life truly worth living.

That’s why life is such a complex entity. There are just so many fucking variables. Its as if we’re all a bunch of mad scientists attempting to concoct the perfect mixture. And sometimes those experiments blow up right in our faces and cause quite a bit of damage!

But from time to time…the results can be simply amazing…and its those moments that makes life feel special.

It may be easier to lie down than to fly… I sure as hell find myself face down or on my ass quite a bit, so I understand the sentiment quite deeply…but like a young bird sitting eagerly in its nest, attempting to once again conquer the challenge of flight…we just have to keep coming back…ready to try again…ready to finally catch that perfect gust of air and soar high into the sky…wings outstretched...seeing the world from a whole new perspective.


4 Comments:

Blogger Alexandra Scarborough (Sasha) said...

Beautifully written.

Nice image, too!

7/12/2007 3:59 PM  
Blogger neil said...

thanks...the words are mine, but the picture isn't (but it is a nice one, isn't it?)

7/12/2007 5:11 PM  
Blogger Cowboy said...

Bomb post. At least the pain and confusion is a source of artistic inspiration.

7/13/2007 12:50 AM  
Blogger neil said...

thanks J. Sometimes my darkest hours provide me a rare clarity/comfort that I can't explain. I guess after you've been shrouded in darkness for so long, the light at the end of the tunnel can temporarily look a little brighter?

7/13/2007 11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home