Friday, July 27, 2007

to cut...or not to cut...



So what do you think? Is it time to break out the hedge clippers and shave off this mess of long hair atop my head? I've been growing my hair since October 2005...and am now at the point where, even tied back, its starting to take on that out of control head of spaghetti look. Now...my hair always frizzes up after its been given a good wash...so maybe I just need a few days of backbreaking work and stress to re-grease it up and get it looking 'normal' again...but I've been thinking of cutting it all off for a few days now...and after taking a long look in the mirror yesterday, I'm really leaning towards saying bye-bye to my locks.

So what's stopping me? Well, first of all, I know that if I cut my hair it'll be the last time I'll be able to grow it this long...I'm lucky in so far as my current employers don't mind...but long hair is still, at best, put up with by most employers, and is still not universally accepted as a viable look for a young man in his late 20's. Sure...I see guys in suits with long hair from time to time...but for the most part, when you think of 'long hair' on a dude, you don't picture a guy in a suit...or even someone with a good job.

I have my own reasons for keeping it long. First and foremost, I like the way it looks on me. Its comfortable (most of the time). Its also a bit of a link to my 'grunge' past...as well as being a symbol of my non-conformist leanings. I'm different...plain and simple...and having long hair is a small way of saying so.

But there comes a time when you just feel like a change. I know that cutting my hair isn't going to fix or change the direction of my life or suddenly make things seem better...but I'm at a point now where I really don't know what to do with myself. Living day to day is very hard...and sometimes I just want to sell all my shit and disappear...move to Alaska or something. I know I'll probably never do anything that drastic...so something like quitting my job, moving or cutting my hair is about all I can do right now...and I just moved...and as shite as my job is sometimes, I really don't feel like looking for another one right now...so all I'm left with is the hair.

I think I'll sleep on it for one more night...but don't be surprised if by this time tomorrow I'm sporting an army regulation buzz atop this mass of bone and brain I call a head.

6 Comments:

Blogger Cowboy said...

Keep it long. I wrestle with zipping off my soul patch too. Then when I do it I instantly regret it.

7/28/2007 7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nothing is as refreshing as a scalp adourned with inch long hair. feels like one less worry

7/28/2007 10:05 PM  
Blogger Brianne said...

trim, shape,thin

7/29/2007 12:31 AM  
Blogger neil said...

Thanks for the advice guys (and gal). I decided to go with change...I agree with matt's sentiment of 'one less worry'. And J, I do sort of regret cutting it all off...but whatareyougonnado?

As for the trim, shape, thin advice...that would require me to pay for a haircut, something I rarely do anymore. But I did consider it (its been a while since I've had a real haircut)

I'll have a picture up in a few days (I look 17 again)

7/30/2007 6:27 PM  
Blogger Alexandra Scarborough (Sasha) said...

Interesting, I would have voted for keeping it--but that's purely based on the photo. I thought you looked really attractive.

It's also interesing to me how much our inner processes align, despite that we're different sexes and ages. Whenever I go through a period of frustration, change, dissatisfaction with my life--one of the first things I do is cut and/or color my hair, usually quite drastically (you should have seen it after my divorce, wow.) After a recent fit of depression, I decided to do it a little more low-key this time, and just made bangs, but I can't say I've been entirely happy with them. Just last night I was thinking, "fuck this, I'm going to go get something radical and punk." But I probably won't, as my hair is long, and like you, it took quite a while to grow it out. Plus, I think I generally look better with long hair.

When faced with the inability to change much of what isn't working in one's life, one finds oneself staring in the mirror, thinking, "what will make me feel better, right now?..."

So, what do you say? Want to shave your head too, and meet me in Alaska? We can start a revolution. :)

7/31/2007 11:16 AM  
Blogger neil said...

thanks you sasha with an x...I'm very flattered. I never hear that sort of thing, so its nice. =)

Yeah, I am sort of regretting doing it now…only because, well, I do look better with long hair. I tried to take a couple of pictures with the new hairdo, but it looked like I was 19 and hadn’t slept in 3 days…so everyone will just have to wait until my good side reappears. I’ve had a few compliments, but mostly people are just surprised.

I’ve noticed that too about our ‘biorhythms’ and inner processes aligning. Its like two people who are able to finish each others sentences…only, what we’re dealing with is internal. You can just relate to the other person. I find that most of the people I get along with, or am drawn to online typically have similar ‘stuff’ going on inside…its just something I pick up on. Its even better when the feeling is mutual. I find, especially for me, that if I’m able to engage someone in written dialogue (e-mails, msm, blogs), I can learn much more about them than I can sitting and chatting. Fewer barriers I think…which is odd considering…

I'm also a notoriously perceptive person, so I tend to look beneath the surface quite a bit, and quite often people aren't very 'deep' face to face...its in someones words where a lot of the good stuff is (for me, anyway). Sometimes I do see stuff that isn’t really there…but for the most part, I’m usually on target.

Take care, and who knows…if things stay the same, the wide open spaces of Alaska may need to make room for 2 more…=)

PS A little 'punk' never hurt anyone...

8/01/2007 5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home