Tuesday, August 07, 2007

The Directors

If you’ve been a regular reader of my blog for any length of time, you will have found out that I am a bit of a film buff. I love movies. More than that though, I am a fan of the art of film…and therefore, I am an avid fan/critic of specific directors and their work. I have many favourites (Stanley Kubrick, Jim Jarmusch, Quentin Tarantino, David Lynch, Wes Anderson, Darren Aranofski, Coen Brothers, Michael Mann, David Fincher, Martin Scorsese…and on and on and on…) who’s work I almost automatically watch…a lot like how I only buy CD’s for artists I truly trust (Sonic Youth, Beck, White Stripes). I do give unknown directors a chance…never would have seen 'Brick' if I didn't...and I do this because, well, I watch a lot of movies…but I am a bit of a snob, so sometimes if I haven’t heard of the director, or if it looks too 'low brow' I’m less likely to grab that particular film off the shelf.

Now, I understand that it takes a lot more than a great director and great vision to make a great film…you need good casting/acting, a good script, substantial budget, quality cinematography, musical score…the list is pretty long (which is why the credits are always so long at the end of the movie)…but the director is the person in charge…and therefore is responsible for the overall quality of the film. Even great directors can make bad movies, but for the most part, the filmography of a ‘great’ director is usually quality from first to last.

With the recent death of two filmmakers (Ingmar Bergman & Michelangelo Antonioni) widely regarded as ‘masters’ of their craft, some people are wondering just who the torch will be passed to. Or if it can even be passed? Is Scorsese the new king? Or is it Mr. Hollywood himself, Steven Spielberg? The article linked here might shed some light on who may or may not qualify as a master of modern cinema 50 years from now. Read and enjoy…and if you have a favourite director or two…feel free to share them with me (as well as you’re favourite films)

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnd action!

4 Comments:

Blogger Brianne said...

Here, since I have the window open, this is the short list of my faves from my Myspace. That is so embarassing that I have one of those, isn't it?
Little Miss Sunshine, The Basketball Diaries, The Crow, Flatliners, Adaptation, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind,Shopgirl,Fargo, Fightclub,Harold and Maude, American Beauty, The Butterfly Effect, Secretary
I like quiet, kind of thought-provoking movies and then sort of bloody type as well.
Then I think I have a seperate list on my blogger profile. I never bother to list all the Tarantino films because I love them all and own them all. I have two large movie posters of Uma from Kill Bill in my bedroom and I think people think we are very strange for that.

8/07/2007 9:48 PM  
Blogger neil said...

Not one...but two Kill Bill posters??? AWESOME!! I like Volume 2 a little bit better (more Bud). Eternal Sunshine is one of my all time favourite movies as well, same with Fargo and Fightclub. Quite an eclectic mix. Haven't seen Secretary (but Fur, by the same director, was quite good) or Shopgirl. I too like the quieter, thought provoking films…Zodiac is a perfect example of the type of film I like. ‘Dead Man’ and ‘Apocalypse Now’ are two more of these types of films that are all time favourites for me. I like movies (and music, and art, and literature) that make me work a little.

Oh…and I’ve got Myspace too…nothing to be embarrassed about. (at least, I don’t think so…)

8/07/2007 10:27 PM  
Blogger Cowboy said...

As lame as it is, I really liked the way Clooney approached Confesions of a Dangerous Mind.

8/09/2007 2:36 AM  
Blogger neil said...

Thanks J. Have heard mixed things on that one...but Clooney proved with 'Goodnight and Goodluck' that he can direct...I'll check it out!

8/10/2007 8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home