Friday, October 19, 2007

Keep On Rockin' In The Free World!

Top 5 Canadian Album’s Of All Time

1. ‘Harvest’ ~ Neil Young
2. ‘Blue’ ~ Joni Mitchell
3. “After the Gold Rush’ ~ Neil Young
4. ‘Music From Big Pink’ ~ The Band
5. ‘Fully Completely’ ~ The Tragically Hip

Author and music lover Bob Mersereau polled nearly 600 musicians, critics, DJs and retailers to come up with a ranking of Canada’s best-loved discs for his book, "The Top 100 Canadian Albums. (article here) I’ve been a Neil Young fan for a while, though my taste for his music has gotten a lot stronger in the past 5 years, so its nice to see him get the top spot. I’m also a big fan of The Band (The Last Waltz is perhaps the best music/concert DVD of all time IMO), so seeing them up here is cool. I like Joni Mitchel…but I haven’t quite developed a refined enough appreciation for her music…and while I respect and like the Tragically Hip, unlike many of my Canadian brothers and sisters, I think they’re a bit overrated (though ‘Ahead By A Century' and 'Nautical Disaster' are both fantastic songs).

Of note, Neil Young made the list 8 times, Mitchell, the Guess Who and Gordon Lightfoot made the list 5 times each, the Hip 4 and 90’s rockers Sloan 3 times (which I think is fair, I think Sloan are often overlooked and underrated when it comes to good Canadian Bands). I wonder if Transistor Sound and Lighting Co. managed to make the top 100? Is there anyone you'd like to see on the list?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's nice to hear another Canadian refer to The Hip as overrated and Sloan as underrated. I probably rant to friends about the Hip more than any other Canadian band to the point where my friends think I hate them (which I don't.) I just don't understand the Canadian enthusiasm for, whom I feel, is just a typical bar band. Love Neil, love Joni, love The Band, overall a pretty interesting (if not surprising) list.

12/23/2007 11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home