Thursday, January 03, 2008

3:10 to Yuma

"They had a lot of weapons, Mister - and they were shootin' bullets."


****

Another great 21st Century Western in the tradition of others of the genre that I've seen and enjoyed, such as The Proposition, Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada and Saraphim Falls to name three. There is still something missing from this movie...perhaps it is just too hard for me to suspend my disbelief when the bullets start flying and the good guys never get hit...or the fact that you can see the end coming a mile away...but for me, a good Western is still one of my favourite types of movies to watch...and I really enjoyed this one. Russel Crowe is solid, and Ben Foster is very good as his right hand man, but it is Christian Bale and the supporting players in the makeshift posse who really are the meat of the film...each one a Western cliche in many ways...but within the context of the film, and because of the fine acting of all involved, you forget about that and just go along for the ride.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alexandra Scarborough (Sasha) said...

I'd watch Christian Bale read a grocery list for two hours. He's that good.

1/05/2008 4:15 PM  
Blogger neil said...

I agree. He's a fantastic actor...quite possibly the best working today IMO. Its getting to the point where you just know that if he's in a movie, it's worth watching. Pure quality.

1/06/2008 5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home