Sunday, December 23, 2007

Bah, humbug? Not so fast...

"It is all well and good for children and acid freaks to still believe in Santa Claus — but it is still a profoundly morbid day for us working professionals. It is unsettling to know that one out of every twenty people you meet on Xmas will be dead this time next year... Some people can accept this, and some can't. That is why God made whiskey, and also why Wild Turkey comes in $300 shaped canisters during most of the Christmas season." ~ Dr. Hunter S. Thompson (1992)

Not trying to be a downer...but the good Dr. was/is a hero of mine, and well, this just made me laugh. Despite the ridiculously enormous tidal wave of consumerism that hits this time of year, and all the pushing and shoving that comes with it, spending time with family and friends can be very pleasant and heartwarming. It is for me at least. Despite having to work through the holidays, I am very much looking forward to spending parts of Christmas Day with my Mother, Father and Brother…opening presents and enjoying my Mom’s fantastic Christmas feast (I’m drooling already!). I wish all my readers a Merry Christmas (or Merry {enter you’re faith’s Holiday here}) and hope that you’re able to look into yourselves and find what it is that makes this time of year so special. Christmas is really a celebration of love and family…and for me, as I get older, the true meaning of this day is becoming clearer and clearer.

It is better to give than to receive, and I think the world would be a much better place if more people remembered that and carried that thought with them through the other 364 days of the year instead of repeating it like some Hallmark cliché only once a year. I’m certainly guilty of moaning about all the things I don’t have sometimes…but as tough as this past year has been, I feel blessed that I get to spend another Christmas with my family as well as having a small handful of loyal friends and acquaintances (some of whom I’ve met because of this very blog) who allow me to share my inner most thoughts and feelings with them, and who are generous enough to share with me their own. It means a lot.

I’m not an easy person to pin down…I don’t make it easy…but to those of you who have stuck around long enough to get to know me, even if just a little bit, I thank you, and wish you nothing but happiness and joy this Holiday Season.



Cheers!

3 Comments:

Blogger Renée said...

Merry Christmas Neil! It sounds like you'll be having a wonderful Christmas.

12/25/2007 12:35 PM  
Blogger neil said...

Thanks Renée. Merry Christmas to you and yours too. Just a quiet Christmas at home for me this year…but its been nice. Hope yours was as well…even without a delicious turkey taking up half the table! =)

12/26/2007 7:05 PM  
Blogger Alexandra Scarborough (Sasha) said...

Make that Wild Turkey a bottle of Knob Creek and I'll join you! :)

Happy holidays, Neil!

12/28/2007 11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home