Tuesday, April 08, 2008

the zoo 2


Snow Leopard
If you remember, last year I had a chance to go to the Toronto Zoo for the first time in ages, and brought my (parents) camera with me. I had a great day walking the entire zoo, out in the fresh air, seeing all those animals I remember visiting when I was a kid, as well as some of the new exhibits...it was one of the few ‘good’ days I actually enjoyed last year. So…last summer, after I had already been to the zoo, I cashed in some of my Air Miles for a free ticket…to be used before May 2008.

Well…its almost the middle of April…and with my life in utter chaos once again, and a free pass about to expire, I figured I might as well say fuck it, take the day off and go to the zoo to cheer myself up.

I got there just after 11. I decided to walk the zoo the opposite way I did the previous time I was there…just to mix it up…and because I wasn’t in any rush, I thought I’d try and spend more time at certain exhibits on the off chance I might be able to catch the animals attention like I had with the Snow Leopards last year.

While some animals were too far away to really get a good look at…and others weren’t on display…I did get lucky with the one animal I really was keen to see up close…the cheetah. Last time I only got a look at one as it lay on a hill. This time I got pretty close…

Anyway, although today’s visit wasn’t the revelation the last one was, I wasn’t expecting that either…it had been so long between visits the last time I went…and it just hit the spot…but today, it was a nice day, the sun came out for the last couple of hours I was there…and once again I felt humbled to be in the presence of some of those animals…that’s the weird thing about zoo’s…I love them cause you not only get a chance to see animals you’d never see in person in person…but zoo’s are important partners in working to save endangered species and eco-systems…but then, seeing those beautiful tigers and herds of wild horses in such small enclosures…its just a little sad too.

Sumatran Tiger
Oh, and by the way, apparently this week is National Wildlife Week. Which is kind of ironic because I only just realized that last night, and the majority of my recent posts on F&L have been animal related…so I guess maybe my subconscious took the ball and ran with this one?


my favourite shot.
A pretty girl approaches...
Me and this guy had a staredown...even when I moved he watched me. Of course, he won...I think I saw a smile too!

I don't know what this cheetah was looking at...but it wasn't me.

just chillin...

I wonder what he's thinking?
and finally...TURTLE FIGHTING!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Cowboy said...

Awesome pictures Neil! As always.

4/16/2008 10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home