Saturday, April 05, 2008

planet earth in a box

I didn’t really get anything for my birthday this year. A handful of cards, and some 'spending' money from my folks...that's about it. Usually I don’t spend the money…or I just fritter it away slowly instead of treating myself to something that I wouldn’t buy otherwise…which is the point of the gift in the first place I guess. So, in the spirit of actually spending my money on something, I went out and picked up the BBC ‘Planet Earth’ series on DVD. I’ve wanted to get it for a while, but its not cheap ($80) and I haven’t really been able to rationalize spending that kind of money on a nature documentary.

But I’m glad I finally got it, cause it is fantastic. I’ve watched the first two episodes, and as great as they’ve been, I can only image what they’d look like on a good TV. There’s nothing wrong with mine, I’m not complaining, its just that its only 21’, and doesn’t really do some of the camerawork justice. My folks bought a really nice wide screen TV last year, and I’m tempted to go over there one night at watch a couple of episodes just to see what it looks like on a really nice set.

Nevertheless, if you’re an animal lover…or just a fan of nature documentaries in general…Planet Earth has some truly awesome shots, and uses some of the most unique camera work I’ve ever seen…some of the animals featured so far (Snow Leopard and African Hunting Dog in particular) are animals I’ve never seen on film before, and seeing them in their natural habitat was very cool!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home