Thursday, April 02, 2009

home wrecked

I’ve always been fascinated with abandoned houses. Crumbling relics of families and communities past. Every town has them…and every one has a story. You look at them sitting there, all silent…neglected, crumbling…hidden away behind trees and unkempt roads…and you can see the beautiful, inviting home it once was through the grime and rotten wood. You imagine the lives lived inside, children playing, husbands arguing with wives, the glow of the TV cutting through the darkness outside. How did this home come to be…this? If I stand close enough its almost as if I can hear it trying to tell me its story…invisible home movies of a families I never knew begin dancing around my imagination. Oh those sweet ghosts…

The house, it knows its done for. Boarded up and forgotten, you’re the first visitor its had in ages…and maybe the last. Nobody comes ‘round here anymore! Take a good look…
And its not like these houses are ancient. Many were lived in and alive as recent as 5-10-15 years ago. It’s a sad spectacle really. Perfectly good houses…disappearing slowly into time…rotting away…for no good reason…
photo's by me

4 Comments:

Anonymous matt said...

happy belated birthday...

4/02/2009 5:18 AM  
Anonymous neil said...

thanks man. you too!

4/03/2009 1:59 AM  
Anonymous thatkidisyou said...

I can relate. I'm an abandoned house of sorts...

The other sad side of this sorry coin is that tract homes keep going up & trees & land keep going away. I get so pissed to see an empty business & not a mile away they are clearing land for another huge-ass building to go up. I guess it means jobs & that's nothing to make light of in this day, but damn it's such a waste!

4/14/2009 3:14 AM  
Anonymous neil said...

Thanks J. 'Obscure focal points in society.'...well said (I'm going to have to steal that one!) I don't think even I can rationalize missing a 'Archies' reunion. (Jughead is right on the mark!)

thatkidisyou, it does feel like such a waste to see these houses just sitting there...but time waits for nothing, and the world we live in can sometimes feel like one big construction site...with a crane on one side, and a wrecking ball on the other...and the places in these pictures are sort of stuck in the 'void' between these two extremes...frozen in time, but not really...

4/14/2009 4:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home