Wednesday, November 29, 2006

"Stay Out Of Malibu Lebowski!"

I decided to head into town to grab lunch at the local greasy spoon/burger joint on Monday…and after finishing what was a great burger, I looked across the street at a place I used to frequent weekly in my younger days…the local bowling alley.



That’s right, I was a bowler. For 3 years I bowled in a youth league (2 with my brother) and although I was hardly what you would consider good, I did manage to raise my average from year 1 to year 2 enough to garner the ‘most improved bowler’ trophy which is still, to this day, one of my prouder accomplishments captured in trophy form. I bowl 10 pin only, and I’d have to say that I bowl anywhere between 120-160…usually on the lower end of that scale. If you’re a good bowler, you in the 160-200 range.



Anyway, I had some time (and a few extra bucks in my pocket) so I drove over and went in. Walking in there was like walking through a time warp…the place looked and ‘felt’ just like it did in the early 90’s…which I’m sure is how it felt in the 60’s and 70’s too. Pictures on the wall of the ‘stars’ of yesteryear, dudes with mustaches who bowled a 300, winners of the 1977 Provincial Midget Boys Championship. There is something timeless about old bowling alleys, and the ‘regulars’ that frequent them. Often times, these people are old, round, and a little ‘socially awkward’…but I say that with respect, partly because I myself am socially awkward, and partly because they just seem like nice people. Its as if bowling alleys are the designated safe havens for the geeks, oddities and outcasts of society…like the club is for cougars and players…and the bar is for drunks and blowhards. This is their home base, and bowling is their sport.



The game itself kind of makes me laugh at its simplicity. Roll a heavy black ball down a lane, and try to knock down all the pins. Do it again to clean up any leftovers. Repeat 10 times. Very simple, yet there is an art to it. It can be played alone, with a friend, with a team, against a team, just for fun or taken seriously. It’s a very adaptable sport when you think of it. You can be shit, and still have fun. Now I don’t have any skills when it comes to bowling, I roll the ball as straight as I can, at a bit of an angle, and hope. The pro’s, they’ve got that handshake, spin the ball release where the ball hugs the gutter before grabbing hold of the wood and spinning into the center pin with crazy force. I can’t do that! I don’t think I’ll ever take bowling serious enough to learn that ‘release’, but as it is, I’m not bad.



I paid for 2 games…and then tacked on another one for a total of 3. The first game was to get the rust off…and I was pretty bad. 1 strike, 1 spare, and a lot of open frames = 105. I was just glad to break 100.

The second game was not much better, though I did manage to score a couple more spares…and rolled a 118.

However, the third game was pretty good. I started to get my ‘feel’ back for the ball, and got into a bit of a rhythm. I started off with a strike, and proceeded to either strike or spare 7 of the 10 frames. I finished up with a 153, which is a good score for me…not great, but good considering it had been about a year since I last played. The whole thing took about an hour and 15 minutes, and I had a good time. I forgot about my problems for an hour, I took a nostalgic trip down memory lane, and I had fun trying to think of cool people who actually bowl…and could only think of 3…and they’re all fictional.

I’m probably going to go again next week…hopefully I can beat my 3 game score from Monday.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sport of kings

12/01/2006 12:08 AM  
Blogger Ghetto Photo Girl said...

...and the "socially awkward."

Cute.

12/03/2006 12:51 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp outlet, longchamp pas cher, polo outlet, longchamp outlet, nike air max, replica watches, kate spade outlet, replica watches, ugg boots, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton, christian louboutin, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses, louboutin pas cher, polo ralph lauren, jordan shoes, longchamp outlet, christian louboutin outlet, nike outlet, chanel handbags, ray ban sunglasses, nike free, air max, polo ralph lauren outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, burberry pas cher, oakley sunglasses, cheap oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, ugg boots, nike air max, oakley sunglasses, prada outlet, jordan pas cher, louis vuitton, uggs on sale, tiffany jewelry, prada handbags, gucci handbags, sac longchamp pas cher, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses wholesale, nike roshe, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors pas cher, christian louboutin shoes, nike free run, ray ban sunglasses

8/18/2016 11:42 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

replica watches, canada goose, coach outlet, toms shoes, montre pas cher, ugg uk, pandora jewelry, moncler, thomas sabo, louis vuitton, karen millen uk, swarovski, pandora jewelry, juicy couture outlet, links of london, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, ugg pas cher, canada goose outlet, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, marc jacobs, canada goose, doudoune moncler, ugg, moncler, louis vuitton, canada goose, louis vuitton, canada goose outlet, moncler outlet, moncler uk, canada goose uk, hollister, juicy couture outlet, moncler, pandora uk, pandora charms, moncler outlet, louis vuitton, wedding dresses, louis vuitton, canada goose jackets, moncler, swarovski crystal, canada goose outlet, supra shoes

8/18/2016 11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home