Thursday, March 08, 2007

Keep Your Hands In The Car At All Times...

Well…it was inevitable…but I hit the wall yesterday. After juggling the many changing parts of my life for the past 2-3 weeks, I had a day off yesterday and spent the vast majority of it in a zoned out stupor. I fell asleep twice (once on my couch…the other on my bed) during the afternoon, went out for fish and chips (which were delicious) and watched a movie (The Game). Somehow all of these activities ate up a solid 12 hours of my day. Oh…and I washed the dishes.

The energy and motivation that has been propelling me forward lately seems to be waning a little. Just a little. Things at work have me on edge a bit. I’m trying put feelers out as to the likelihood of finally getting that much whispered about raise…but things are so crazy right now, its no wonder my ‘situation’ has been put on the backburner by the powers that be. I’m sure they’ll probably come back at me with a ‘yes…you can have your raise…but we’d like you to take on more responsibility.” Isn’t that always how it goes? I can’t simply be rewarded for 15 months of hard work, always being on time, and going above and beyond when it’s called for? As far as I’m concerned, they’re still getting me on the cheap (even with the raise)…so the least they can do is throw me a bone in the form of an extra few quarters an hour. The problem is, I really don’t have any leverage. I don’t want to leave…so if I don’t get the raise, sure, I’ll be bitter…but I doubt it’ll be enough for me to start looking somewhere else (even though that’s probably what I should do…). I like my job…despite it’s meager pay, shitty hours and the yo-yo like schedule...right now, it fits me. I just hope they can see past the ‘numbers’ and realize how valuable an employee I really am.

My job isn’t the only thing on my mind right now…but it’s the most pressing and most immediate. It certainly isn’t the most important though...

I just hope this ‘bummed out’ feeling I’m lugging around with me today isn’t the start of another drop on the roller coaster…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home