Sunday, July 01, 2007

Happy Birthday Eh!

I’d like to second the motion brought forward by another proud Canadian I know and wish this country of ours a Happy Birthday. All things considered, Canada is a pretty great place to live. We’ve got natural resources and beautiful scenery from coast to coast, we live in a free society where everyone at least has a ‘chance’ at a better life, we’ve got health care, and thanks to our proximity to the most powerful and influential country in the world, we are at the same time protected yet still quite independent from our bigger, tougher brother to the south.

We may be small and we sure as heck can’t push anyone around when it comes to the world stage…but ask people from other countries what they think of Canada, and I’m sure the vast majority of responses will be favourable.

Sure, we have some issues that we can’t seem to iron out. Our issues with the Native inhabitants of this land are still ‘unresolved’, we still aren’t convinced that our abundance of natural resources is our ticket, as a nation, to a prosperous future and that we need to protect them at all costs, and we still lack a strong national identity outside of cheering on our Men’s and Women’s Olympic Hockey teams every four years.

What does it mean to be a Canadian? Even I'm not sure...but I am proud to be one.

Life is hard enough…so I’m grateful that the country I call home doesn’t make it too much harder than it already is.


Happy Birthday Baby!

2 Comments:

Blogger Alexandra Scarborough (Sasha) said...

What little I've explored of Canada is amazingly beautiful and dynamic. I wish I could have dual citizenship.

I also wish America would wake up and give her citizens the health care that Canada offers to hers. But I guess warmongering is a more suitable way to spend our money. *sigh*

Happy Birthday!

7/06/2007 10:50 AM  
Blogger neil said...

"But I guess warmongering is a more suitable way to spend our money."

Hahaha...yeah, you guys really ought to tone that down a bit. =) America is still a great country...but its like they say, power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. America isn't at ‘absolutely’ yet…but your country is in serious danger of finding that point of no return and crossing it if they aren’t careful.

Life at the top can be tough...

7/07/2007 7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home