Saturday, April 19, 2008

Juno

"THUNDERCATS ARE GO!"


***

I liked this movie…quite a bit…but it clearly was the recipient of this year’s overhype-the-little-movie-that-could card…at least, that’s how I see it. I mean…Best Picture? I thought Ellen Page was great…but, Academy Award Nominee great? Then again, who I am I to say its not deserving of the hype it got? A lot of people love this movie…and a lot of people think Page’s performance was outstanding…and she did carry the film with a sort of ease that is impressive. Maybe there is something to the nomination? Maybe I need to see it again. And it is a movie I’d see again…so that’s something too.

I also thought the film dealt with a subject (teen pregnancy) in a very unique, refreshing, and intelligent way…constantly reminding us that these are just kids. Good movie. Maybe even better than I first thought?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i assumed Juno was directed by the same guy that directed Knocked Up because it's about an unexpected pregnancy, and Michael Cera stars as Juno's boyfriend (he was one of the goofy kids from Superbad, a close relative of Knocked Up), but it turns out this is not the case

4/30/2008 5:52 AM  
Blogger neil said...

cool, thanks patrick. the director is the guy who did the very sharp and very good 'Thank You For Smoking'...which is probably why he was such a good match for Ellen Page and the screenwriter, Diablo Cody.

I'm a fan of Michael Cera. He doesn't have great range (yet), but he hits it out of the park every time I see him in something.

5/01/2008 1:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home