Friday, April 11, 2008

There Will Be Blood

"I'm finished"


****

Daniel Day-Lewis is an incredible actor. There can be no doubting that. His career speaks for itself…and he is widely regarded by his peers as one of the finest working actors around…but still, I don’t think I was prepared for what I saw. There Will Be Blood, directed by Paul Thomas Anderson (Boogie Nights, Magnolia), is a real fine film about the American dream gone up in flames…Citizen Kane 2008…but as fine a film as it is…it is Daniel Day-Lewis’ film…the man just envelops the screen…and has you guessing the whole way.

Excellent story of rags to riches in the early 1900’s oil game …and the horrors unearthed along the way. Fine cinematography, solid supporting cast…Paul Dano was very compelling as the ‘preacher of Little Boston’…the film really did live up to its billing as a worthy Oscar contender for Best Picture…but I just can’t get over how amazing Day-Lewis was. Its like I was watching something other than acting…

If you’re a film nut, you must see this film…like No Country For Old Men or The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford, There Will Be Blood is not for everyone…so be warned, you may find it ‘boring’ or ‘slow’…but for the more seasoned viewer, the film is a real treat.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alexandra Scarborough (Sasha) said...

This film was an amazing examination of the relationship between fathers and sons.

And yes, DD-L fucking blew it out of the water (as always. Man, I bet he's awesome in the sack.)

As I explained it to my Dad, "It's a film that leaves you feeling hollow and emptied out inside. But that's the intention. See it."

Also, I felt it was an awesome commentary on the roots of our oil reliance--although, that was much more subtly placed within the narrative.

4 thumbs up, agreed! :)

4/20/2008 8:03 PM  
Blogger neil said...

I don’t necessarily disagree with you about the ‘fathers and son’s theme in the movie…but its not something that really jumped out at me...I mean, clearly it was there, but wasn't my focus. I will be watching the film again real soon, so I’ll pay more attention to that and let you know what I think.

After watching it the first time, I was left with that very same ‘hollowed out’ feeling too. Absolutely incredible film, and just gorgeous to look at…but very difficult to watch. I’d argue it wasn’t as depressing or as dark as PTA’s Magnolia…but because of the performance of Daniel Day Lewis, and the nature of the film, it was far more powerful a film IMO. Its as if you could see Day-Lewis’ heart growing blacker and blacker by the minute…its still with me in fact…

4/24/2008 1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home