Wednesday, March 26, 2008

leafs fall in spring

Well, another disappointing season came to a fitting and predictable end last night as the wicked tease that is the Toronto Maple Leafs…who had closed to within 4 points of Boston for the last playoff spot in the Eastern Conference after I had completely written them off over a month ago…lost 6-2 to those Bruins in the first of back-to-back games that, had we won them both, would have vaulted us into a tie with them. But no…once again, this team got hot too late…and when the improbable was close to possible…they choked on the pressure and lost a game they really, really needed.

Sure, Mats is out…so is my boy Nik Antropov…but still…to lose that badly to a so-so team like the Bruins just goes to show what kind of soul this team has. I’ll give the boys some credit for putting some wins together and making things ‘seem’ better than they actually are…but lets be honest…if the Leafs had played with the kind of fire they showed in the 10 games before last nights game all season…I’d be posting about how pumped I am to start watching playoff hockey. Instead…it’ll be another year that I won’t be watching. Shit…the last time I was really into the playoffs (I still watch the odd game…I mean, I am Canadian…its in my marrow) I was living in England, saying up until 4 in the morning to watch the Leafs and Flyers rumble back in ‘05.

Its been WAY too long.

As for all the talk about a new GM and all the things the team is going to do to ‘right the ship’, I’ll say this…if they hire Brian Burke, and I don’t care how good a GM he is, the guy is an asshole...if he’s the new GM…and Mats decides to hang ‘em up…I may just have to find another team to root for. Hey J…I hear Detroit isn’t selling out home games anymore…think they’ve got room for one more bandwagon jumper…cause there’s no way in hell I’ll ever root for the Senators…and if I started cheering for the Habs (who, I must admit, have been THE surprise team this season, and deserve to be first), I can think of 3 people who’d never, EVER let me hear the end of it. I used to like the Sharks…but that was more to do with Owen Nolan being my favourite player (after The Great One and Mats of course)…

I’ve been a fan of the Leafs pretty much my entire life. I got a signed Rick Vaive stick when I was like 6 or 7…and I was collecting hockey cards back in 85-86 (I’ve got a beat up Mario Lemieux rookie card (value $500-1000) as proof…bought it in a pack…with gum…)…so to say I’ve suffered with the best of them is fair. But after a while, after the hope of another season turns to ruin, you’ve got to ask yourself…how much longer can I tolerate this? How much longer can I watch teams like Carolina and Anaheim and New Jersey hoist the cup while our guys are out playing golf, or up at the cottage in Muskoka?

Meh…I don’t want to talk about this anymore…


'Oh man...you guys really do suck!'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home