Monday, February 05, 2007

Go Green

I won’t get preechy with this entry, primarily because I’m slightly hipocritical on the subject to be honest, but we only have one planet, and I believe it should be every human beings duty living on it to do what they can to ensure its protected...and where possible, improved. At no time in the history of mankind have we been pumping, dumping and creating as much polution as we are right now. And it only stands to get worse. (cough, China, cough) Seriously…what are we going to do? What can we do?

Our part. That’s about it.

“The question is whether we're going to start taking the steps now to avoid the really big jumps that are in store if we don't do something now.”

If that means recycling as much as you can, do it. It does make a difference. If it means seperating compost from waste, do it. If it means buying an acre of Brazilian Rainforest, or donating to Greenpeace or the WWF or even the Salvation Army or the local pound, do it. Like I said, I’ll be the first to stand up and say that I could do a lot more, and should do a lot more, but right now I try to do my part, as do a great many citizens. We just need to do more. And hopefully our Government’s will follow suit and start doing more. And by doing more, I mean actually doing more. Not debating it. Not alocating funds to it. Doing it. I’ve voted Green in the last 4 or 5 elections, knowing full well that my candidate was not going to win. I voted Green because it represented something I believed in, unlike any of the ‘real’ parties. All they represent to me is the status quo. Sure, some of them talk a good game when they’re not in power, telling everyone what they would do differently. But what happens when they finally do achieve victory, and the right to make the decisions. More of the same.

I was told I was wasting my vote...but you know what, take a look at Mr. Harper and Mr. Dion and Mr. Layton and listen to them...they're all angling for the green vote now, partially because it’s the topic o’ the day…but also because the Green Party continues to show it has a loyal following that aren’t simply throwing their vote away…but making a statement with it. 5% is 5% And I’m willing to vote for another party, but only if they can show me that they deserve it. I’ve voted for 2 of the 3 major parties before…so my loyalties are to my beliefs, not the colour of the placard or the sign on the side of the road. They are starting to wake up to that.

“Our personal consumer choices have ecological, social, and spiritual consequences. It is time to re-examine some of our deeply held notions that underlie our lifestyles.”

In the past 3 or 4 years, with the visible effects of Global Warming (natural or man made…the numbers don’t lie), and the continued urban sprawl that has claimed many a rolling hills, breathing forests and (where I’m from) some of the most fertile growing land on the planet, more and more people are paying attention. Not nearly enough people, and not nearly enough attention, but its something…and its growing.

So before this post gets out of control, I just want to say that I am making a promise to myself to do a little bit more to be ‘environmentally friendly’ in every environment…outside and inside, in work and in life…and hopefully you can too.

“The human brain now holds the key to our future. We have to recall the image of the planet from outer space: a single entity in which air, water, and continents are interconnected. That is our home.” ~ David Suzuki


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home