Saturday, August 10, 2013

picnic table

Gathered around, mother, father, brother, brother's girlfriend, cousin, cousins two young kids, me.  Cool evening air.  Music echoing in the distance.  Bright lights and delicious smells.  Chattering of people all around.  Kids running, teens huddling.  It was a moment.  

I can't say I've experienced anything like that in a long time.  I felt young again and comfortably old all in the same instant.  Bending down to tie my little cousins shoe on the playground, I saw what could have been.  I'm pretty good with kids.  I'm a big kid after all, so I can relate.  They aren't so complicated.  They're honest.  They just want you to pay attention.  My heart melted a little.

It was a nice family moment.  One I'll hopefully remember and keep with me a long time.  Put it in a bottle and on the shelf somewhere.

Thanks for that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home