Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Inside Llewyn Davis

I ended up putting putting this on last night after about 4 beers and was pleasantly surprised by how much I not only enjoyed the Coen's latest film, but how not depressing it was.  Don't get me wrong, it was still kind of a downer movie, and doesn't exactly end on a high note...but it wasn't the total bummer I was expecting it to be.  I'm no musician...I'm a struggling would-be-writer who has some of the same attachments to authenticity and honesty that Llewyn does in the film...and while his journey is certainly painful and heartbreaking, it's also kind of heroic and...well...real.  I've known people like Llewyn.  Part smug...part oblivious...part holier-than-thou...but at their core, they're just honest people trying to find their place.  They have something to share, something they're passionate about, but can't quite find the right stage and audience.  They connect with a few...but not enough...and invariably end up packing it in and taking a job with a marketing firm, or working for their Dad...occasionally reliving their brief moments of bliss with the few who remember and with whom they actually connected.  

I look forward to watching this film again soon.  There's something strangely affirming about it for me.  Not only that, but as a piece of film-making, it's pretty incredible.  How it was passed over when Academy Award Nominations were being handed out is beyond me.  Oscar Issac is absolutely brilliant...and the fact that he actually played and sang...stunning performance.  The brothers Coen deserved a writing and directing nod too...though who'd get bumped to make room for them I don't know.  The cinematography...set design...musical score/direction was also great.  

If anything, the Coen Brothers really do know how to make truly human films...even if they are a bit odd and slightly highbrow.  I highly recommend this film.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home