Sunday, April 01, 2007

Zoopalooza (part 1)

As I wasn’t really feeling my birthday this year, I decided to do something different…something just for me. I woke up Friday morning, the whole day my oyster, and decided that I would take advantage of the mild weather and would visit one of my favourite places…the zoo.

I hadn’t been to the zoo in a long time…I can’t actually remember when the last time was…but when it comes to animals, to say I’m a fan is a huge understatement, so I thought it would be just the thing to break me out of my slump.

And it was.

I borrowed my parents’ digital camera for the occasion, so here are a few of the shots I got during my 5-hour whirlwind tour of the Metro Toronto Zoo.


Not so tiny tiger cubs...


I wonder what a happy elephant looks like?


These guys made me laugh. I think the one on the right was just scratching, but it looks funny!


Love these guys...so effortless. Its also hard to imagine that these guys are food for...


...this beast! I'm 6'4 and I probably come up to its chin. Big, BIG bear!


Possibly my favourite animal of all. I was a sprinter when I was a kid, and I always loved how fast these guys are...and how when you slow down their running motion, its like a perfect running machine. Poetry in motion. This guy was just chillin on a hill, staring at the zebra’s eating in the exhibit directly across from him, which I found a little cruel. I love this picture…

More to come in part 2…

2 Comments:

Blogger Cowboy said...

Yeah, I've heard a lot of people argue about the fact that zoos are cruel. I say fuck that. Zoos are cuel, nor cruel. 3 squares, no preditors, full medical and dental, and a full-time staff to clean your poop. Sign me up.

4/02/2007 6:59 PM  
Blogger neil said...

They aren't cruel...actually, they're necessary what with habitat disappearing all over the world. My beef is that the enclosures should be bigger as to give some of the bigger animals (tigers, leopards, cheetahs) that need space to run around. The M.T.Z. is actually quite respectable when it comes to the size and quality of the ‘spaces’…but in a (more) perfect world, they’d be that much larger.

4/02/2007 7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home