Tuesday, May 27, 2008

199981

That’s what my odometer currently reads. In a few short days…maybe as early as Wednesday…my car will pass the 200,000 KM mark…and officially enter the ‘holy-f'n'-shit-you're-car-has-a-lot-of-miles-on-it' category. (and who are we kidding with these KM's anyway...) It’s a 2000 Jetta…and not all the clicks are mine…my family got it with about 80,000 already on it, and my brother had it for a year and put a good 20,000 on it himself…but for the most part, its been my car…and became ‘my’ car a couple of years ago when I finally finished paying my parents for it.
So to see the girl reach 200,000…after the ups (drives great, engine is great, makes me look like I have ‘some’ money) and downs (tiny, insignificant things that go wrong end up costing my hundreds of dollars EVERY TIME!!!…and lots of tiny, insignificant things happen to VW’s…she’s getting old) I’m proud she’s in the shape she’s in.
I’d love to get that number up to 300,000, but I don’t see that happening. I would like to drive cross country…if not this summer, next summer…and I would totally trust my car on a trip like that…but I just don’t know if I’ll have her that much longer. With money being so tight…and me living so close to work…the first luxury item I can flip for a little coin is my wheels.
It was tough parting with my first car…an 89’ Oldsmobile…and I’m sure when the time finally comes for me to trade in this model for a ‘better’ car, I’ll feel the same sense of loss…
Oh for fuck's sake...its just a car?!?!?


(not my briefcase...losers don't need briefcases...)

2 Comments:

Blogger Cowboy said...

It's not just a car, it's an extension of everything you are... don't you know anything?!

Just joshin. MY 99 Grand American is pushing 130k k's. Sucks. There will be a funeral when she goes. There WILL be finger sandwiches.... maybe some whisky too.

5/28/2008 5:41 PM  
Blogger neil said...

you had me at finger sandwiches...

130K...not bad considering how long you've had it.

5/28/2008 6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home