Saturday, March 08, 2008

The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford

"Yeah...just ain't no peace with old Jesse around."


*****

After my first viewing, I was in a state of awe. After my second viewing, it felt like I had just woken up from some brilliant dream. By no means is this a perfect film…it is not without its flaws…but for sheer vision, scope, style, and for the ensemble performances, led by Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck…and for its lingering effect on me, I have no choice but to give it 5 stars.

Partially told using fine narration that wouldn't be out of place on a Ken Burns documentary, this is the story of the outlaw Jesse James and a young man who’s idolization of the James results in the two being forever entwined…in life…and in death. As someone who, over the course of my life, has looked up to a handful of famous men as role models, I know the pain in having the bubble burst. They’re only human beings after all. We all are. And none of us is perfect. We can’t be.

Many people won’t like this movie. Of the people I’ve talked to, maybe 2 in 10 enjoys it on anything close to par with me. It’s a filmmaking fans dream. And as a fan of the western, it is yet another example of this classic genre being reinvigorated with new life in the past 4-5 years. Once again, however, the role of women in the movie is that of wife, mother...and even then, they aren’t much more than extras. This is a film about a time and place…but its also a film about the dark heart of men…and those quiet voices that whisper our destiny into our ears…daring us to act.

A wonderful piece of film as art.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I waited for this dvd release forever, and, after months of anticipation, I thought I'd ruined it for myself. Definitley not the case. Though everyone that Ive watched it with me has nodded off at some point, I couldn't have been more pleased. This movie was nothing short of fucking phenomenal. It earned every one of the stars you gave it.

3/09/2008 1:17 AM  
Blogger neil said...

I too was chomping at the bit to see this film...I love westerns and this looked like a really interesting movie...so it certainly had the potential to be a big let down. That, however, was not the case...

Check out 'The Proposition' if you haven't already...Nice Cave, the guy who did the score/soundtrack to 'Assassination' wrote the script and did the score for 'Proposition'...its a western set in Australia during the British 'expansion' era. A different take on 'the wild west'...but very, very good...and steeped in style (though not to the same extent as 'Assassination')

3/09/2008 12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post.

11/10/2008 9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home