Saturday, March 08, 2008

The Darjeeling Limited

“I guess I've still got a lot of healing to do.”




****


I really enjoyed this film. I’m a fan of the director, Wes Anderson, and his prior work, so I had a pretty good idea of what to expect. But in a surprising twist, this film was a lot more mature than his previous efforts. Not that his other efforts were entirely immature, but if you’ve seen Rushmore or The Life Aquatic then you know Anderson’s style is a little off beat, and a little ‘odd’…but Darjeeling’s oddness was rather muted in comparison. Just a really interesting story about 3 brothers who haven’t seen each other in a year, and all dealing with personal issues, who go on a spiritual journey through India on a train called The Darjeeling Limited. I thought the performances by the 3 main characters was very good, Owen Wilson in particular gave a very good performance, as he tends to do in his buddies films (Royal Tenenbaums). However, considering what happened to Wilson shortly after he finished working on this movie, the tone of his performance, and the movie in general is that much deeper…and gives the film a gravity that it still probably would have had regardless, but certainly doesn’t diminish either.


Very enjoyable movie…and I’m looking forward to a repeat viewing very soon…and to see what Anderson and Co. do next.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home