Saturday, June 09, 2012

oh

A lot of the time I come on here and have no idea what I'm going to say.  It just comes out.  And how it comes out is different each time.  Sometimes I wax poetic.  Other times, its just a bunch of words thrown up on this virtual page and I hope to make sense of it later.  But I want it to be honest.  It has to be honest.

The problem is that being honest with oneself can be brutal to have to face a day later.  Especially so when its up in print on the internet. 

I used to think I had a bit of flair, a way with words if you will.  But the more I read, from books to magazine articles to internet blogs and facebook comments, a lot of people can handle the English language quite nicely.  So many in fact that what I used to see as a somewhat special gift is no longer seen as such in my eyes.  In fact, if anything, its discouraged me from really 'trying' to write anything for the past few years.  That's actually true in a few area's of my life, the 'trying' part...its weird, I'm hard working but I'm lazy at the same time?  It makes  no sense, but then again, I don't makes no sense.

I just want to do something that doesn't drag me down.  Doesn't make me feel like I'm losing ground.  But life is a state of mind I'm finding out, and recently I just haven't had it in me.  I haven't had enough energy to do the dishes, or my laundry for over a week...maybe two...until today.  One good day out of 10. 

'Stay positive!'

How?

How do you turn a bad thing into a good thing?  How do you all of a sudden change the way you see the world?  How do start winning after so much losing? 

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The world is full of gifted writers, that fact does not diminish your gift. Your voice is unique.

What would the night sky be with out each of its stars?

6/29/2012 12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Among the best pieces of advice I have received with respect to how to stay positive are: first, smile, brain chemistry changes when we smile.

Second, breathe, be aware of your breath, concentrate on it, observe your thoughts and let them go.

Practice small breathe awareness meditations when necessary.

Third, if we take our focus off me/ego and do something for other living beings mired in their own struggles we feel better because in some way we have made a difference.

Smile!

The following excerpt about the power of a smile is from Psychology Today:

Today's post is by a guest blogger, Sarah Stevenson.

"There’s Magic In Your Smile" (google this if you are interested in the full post)

"Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy." ~Thich Nhat Hanh

...Scientist and spiritual teachers alike agree that the simple act can transform you and the world around you. Current research (and common sense) shows us that a smile is contagious (1). It can make us appear more attractive to others. It lifts our mood as well as the moods of those around us. (Merci, Colette.) And it can even lengthen our lives (2). So before you read on, slap a nice, genuine smile on that face of yours. You’ll thank me later.


How Smiling Affects Your Brain

Each time you smile you throw a little feel-good party in your brain. The act of smiling activates neural messaging that benefits your health and happiness.

For starters, smiling activates the release of neuropeptides that work toward fighting off stress (3). Neuropeptides are tiny molecules that allow neurons to communicate. They facilitate messaging to the whole body when we are happy, sad, angry, depressed, excited. The feel good neurotransmitters dopamine, endorphins and serotonin are all released when a smile flashes across your face as well (4). This not only relaxes your body, but it can lower your heart rate and blood pressure.

The endorphins also act as a natural pain reliever - 100% organically and without the potential negative side effects of synthetic concoctions (4).

Finally, the serotonin release brought on by your smile serves as an anti-depressant/mood lifter (5). Many of today’s pharmaceutical anti-depressants also influence the levels of serotonin in your brain, but with a smile, you again don’t have to worry about negative side effects – and you don’t need a prescription from your doctor.

How Smiling Affects Your Body

(footnotes available in the post)

The following story illustrated how small acts of kindness add up to more than the sum of their parts.

OPCTW Stories

The Starfish Story

By City Year

A young girl was walking along a beach upon which thousands of starfish had been washed up during a terrible storm. When she came to each starfish, she would pick it up, and throw it back into the ocean. People watched her with amusement.
She had been doing this for some time when a man approached her and said, “Little girl, why are you doing this? Look at this beach! You can’t save all these starfish. You can’t begin to make a difference!”
The girl seemed crushed, suddenly deflated. But after a few moments, she bent down, picked up another starfish, and hurled it as far as she could into the ocean. Then she looked up at the man and replied,
“Well, I made a difference to that one!”
The old man looked at the girl inquisitively and thought about what she had done and said. Inspired, he joined the little girl in throwing starfish back into the sea. Soon others joined, and all the starfish were saved. - adapted from the Star Thrower by Loren C. Eiseley

6/29/2012 1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home